Sep 21, 2011 | Comments 0
When a disaster occurs in your home, the 1st and most overlooked thing is safety and the correct sequence of what you should do. Below is a short and easy to follow check list for you to refer to:
- Contact your insurance carrier right away.
- Your safety is of primary concern so stay clear of any damaged areas.
- If safely possible, move furniture or other items of value to an unaffected area of your home to prevent further damage to them.
- Make a list of everything that has been damaged or destroyed for your insurance adjuster. Take pictures or movies of the damage sustained.
- Do not try to clean damaged items. Cleaning damaged items without the proper equipment can do more harm than good.
- Do not make any permanent repairs or replacements until your insurance company has seen the damage and are able to make their assessments.
- Save all receipts of any temporary necessary (for safety reason) repairs that are made. They may be forwarded to your insurance company for repayment.